Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Alkaline Trio - This Addiction

I'm a old school fan of Alkaline Trio. My friends got me into them back in 2000 and I'll be the first to admit I wasn't really into it right away. Since then they've been huge and my likes have changed. They have headlined Warped Tour and tons of other huge festivals and continue to keep going strong. After years of drinking and playing in different bands they pulled together a new album entitled "This Addiction".

On Feb 23rd, 2010 the album launched and went all the way up to #11 on the Billboard 200 which was the highest the band has ever been. Its my job to review said album and let you, the people, know what to do with it. Buy it? Get singles? or just pass it all together. Here's my review of "This Addiction" by Alkaline Trio

The album kicks off hard in an old school AK3 song and they waste no time with the title track This Addiction. Very classic feel but you can tell the album had a little bit of auto tune but only to enhance the fact that these guys have been drinking, smoking, and partying it up for a long time. Its a cleaner vocal path and not bad.
The next songs Dine, Dine My Darling and Lead Poisoning sound a lot like a pull for a bit more pop for this album but realized these songs would be more of filler, but not in a bad way, just a way to get to the next few songs.
Dead On The Floor honestly didn't do anything for me, at least the last 2 songs I'd hum from time to time again but not this one at all.
Now The American Scream is a really good song. I think if this had been recorded in the From Here To Infirmary era it'd be a classic but Skiba's voice isn't at a scream style anymore. Still a good song.
Off The Map was another filler song it felt like. Draculina, which feels like an Alice In Wonderland tale with a goth twang to it, is a good song. I doubt you'd ever hear this live for its context but its not forced at all. Great background and everything and a great pull back into the end of the song. One of my favorite songs on this album.
Over the past few years there's always an AK3 song on the radio and I know for a fact Eating Me Alive will be one of those songs. Very 80's feel like they might've been listening to some Angels and Airwaves. Very catchy in a good way. Now I know people that listen to them hate the fact they have radio play but I think everyone should know how awesome they are. They deserve it.
Piss and Vinegar is yet another song I could see being played on your Alternative and College radio stations and honestly it great. I wont spend to much time on this as its much like the last song. Dorothy honestly sounds much like the last 2 radio hits, yet I don't know if this one would really be received as well as Eating Me Alive, and Piss and Vinegar.
The last song on the album is so fitting. If you go the whole album it kind of gives you chills. You can tell these guys really thought this last one out especially for an ending song. This song, Fine, really fits with the whole mood of the album and what these guys have been moving to for years. I love it. Very fitting.

In close I'd like to say that no matter when you heard your first Alkaline Trio song you remember it. To me its kind of like a first kiss. Its simple, quick, and in your face. For anyone that hasn't ever heard this great band I'd check out the recommended section after the review and really give them a listen to show how much progress and change this band has been through. Naked On Green Beers is so fitting for how I let them into my life.

Alkaline Trio - This Addiction
7.8/10

Recommended:
Alkaline Trio - From Here to Infirmary
Alkaline Trio - Maybe I'll Catch Fire
Alkaline Trio - Crimson

1 comment:

  1. I watched the video for This Addiction and its surprisingly old school. They're on tour with cursive right now.

    ReplyDelete